Vegetable soup is an easy and delicious way to get your vegetable intake! There are so many benefits of a good vegetable-filled soup that I’d be here all day if I tried to cover it all! It’s just so hearty, comforting, and flavorful!
I have tweaked this recipe to perfection and you’ll, no doubt, believe me when you get a taste of your own!
It has been raining so much here the past week that even with the heat, soup felt like the perfect meal to have. So, I made it and brought it here for you to enjoy as well! You can thank me later 😉 .
To begin, you want to chop up the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms, and mince the garlic. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the onion, celery, and carrot and satuee for 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium, add in the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Once the smell of the garlic and vegetables has your mouth watering, add in the mushrooms and sautee for an additional 2 minutes.
Add in the broth, water, parsley, oregano, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour. (If you are in a hurry, you can simmer it on medium for 30 minutes instead, but the longer and lower you cook it, the more savory it gets!) Add in the frozen okra and bring to a boil. Add the noodles (vegan noodles, of course!) and continue to boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and
plate bowl up!
Hearty Vegetable Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1.5 hours
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 3 carrots – sliced
- 3 celery stalks – sliced
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 8oz package mushrooms – sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 9 cups vegetable broth + 1 cup water
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 cups frozen okra
- 1 cup dry elbow noodles
- Dice, slice, and mince the vegetables.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add in the onion, celery, and carrots and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, or until aromatic.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and sautee for another 2 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium and add in the broth, water, tomatoes, parsley, and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and lower heat to low and let cook for 1 hour.
- Remove cover, add in the okra and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling again, pour in the dry noodles and let them cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir, and ENJOY!