These oatmeal bars are not only a delicious snack, they also are full of awesome, healthy, energy-boosting and gluten-free ingredients and require no baking! What more could you ask for?
First, you are going to want to pulse your walnuts (or nut of choice) in a food processor a couple of times. You want a few chunks of walnuts with mostly finely-chopped pieces. Then you simply add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until it’s evenly and well combined.
Then, you want to cut or fold some wax or parchment paper on the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan to prevent the bars from sticking. Then you just dump the mixture into the pan and press it all down firmly. Set the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
I like to add in the Trilogy seeds by Badia (chia, flax, and hemp seeds) into the mix for the extra health boost they add! Chia is high in omega 3’s, antioxidants, and fiber with a natural energy boost. Flax seeds are also high in antioxidants and fiber, with omega 6’s. Hemp seeds have both omega 3’s and 6’s, contain all of the essential amino acids, are high in fiber, and have an abundance (3.5g per tbsp) of protein!
After about 30 minutes, you want to remove the pan from the freezer and cut it into the desired size pieces you want (I cut mine into 3rd’s one way and 4th’s the other, giving me 12 bars). You want to do this now, as it’s hard enough to hold together, but still soft enough to cut through without much hassle. Then put them back into the freezer for an 1 hour to completely harden.
They also hold together best if you keep them in the freezer/fridge, as the coconut oil helps bond them together and melts rather quickly when warm. If you want them a little sweeter, feel free to add 1-2 tbsp brown sugar into the mix.
You can also melt some chocolate chips and top these with it for a nice-crunchy top layer, if you want!
“Power” Oatmeal Bars
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Set time: 1-2 hours
Servings: 12 bars
- 2 cups Old Fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw walnuts – slightly ground (or other preferred nut)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – melted
- 3 tbsp syrup (I used Log Cabin Table Syrup, but maple or brown rice syrup will do fine)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- *Optional* 3-4 tbsp Badia Trilogy Whole Seed mix (Chia, hemp, and flax seeds)
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor a couple of times, until they are slightly ground up. Some bigger pieces are fine
- Add the pulsed nuts to a large mixing bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine until evenly and well mixed.
- Cut/Fold wax paper to fit the bottom of your 9×9 baking pan and lay flat in the bottom.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and press it all down until it’s firm and tight.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and cut into pieces (This is also where you could top the bars with melted chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, or whatever your heart desires) and put it back into the freezer for at least an hour.
- Serve cold and ENJOY!