About a week ago I posted a picture of some food I put together that actually came out to be a delicious and rather healthy meal that I just HAD to share! I am the queen at vegan-izing meals, especially the greasy, fattening foods I loved growing up! But with the summer creeping up on me, I thought I should also focus a little more on my health and a little less on making vegan fried chicken, you feel me?
We were gifted a cool little vegetable-turned-noodle-gadget a couple years ago for Christmas that I used for the zucchini noodles, but if you don’t have that or the patience to cut zucchini into individual noodles, they do sell them prepackaged at many grocery stores too.
Preheat your oven to 425°F. While your oven is heating up, you can add the fresh basil, avocado, lemon juice, garlic powder, oil, and dairy-free milk into a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut up the grape tomatoes in half and lay them cut-side-up on a baking sheet and let them roast for about 10-15 minutes.
Heat up 1/4 cup of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Sautee the zucchini noodles for about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and drain all the excess water. At this point, you can either mix the noodles, pesto sauce, and tomatoes together and serve, or layer the pesto and tomatoes over the noodles. Same great taste either way!
Avocado Pesto Pasta – Zucchini Noodles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 4-5 zucchinis
- 8oz grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Avocado Pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 medium avocado – shell and seed removed
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a vegetable spiral-er, a knife, or buying prepackaged, prepare your zucchini into noodles.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut tomatoes into halves and lay on baking sheet with cut half up. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until sightly blackened.
- Combine all the pesto sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat and sautee the zucchini noodles for 5-7 minutes. Transfer the noodles into a colander and allow all the excess water to drain before you plate it.
- Combine the noodles, avocado pesto, and tomatoes and ENJOY!