This is one of our new favorites, for sure! We had it twice just last week! I have no doubt in my mind that it’ll blow you away too! I used oyster mushrooms because they are the perfect shape and texture for a “fried chicken” copycat. They are big and hearty, but thin enough that they aren’t “mushroom-y”, if that makes sense. The breading is delicious and crunchy and just to die for!
When you are buying your mushrooms, if they’re in bulk, try to get the bigger ones. Bundles are good too! These work the best for this recipe, as they are closer in size to traditional fried chicken and the batter is thicker, so they compliment each other well. Once you get them home, you need to cut them into the sizes you want. The picture above is how I did mine!
Heat a few inches of vegetable oil (or frying oil of your choice) in a large pot to about 350-375°F. While that is heating up, prepare the wet batter and breading. Batter each mushroom in the wet batter, making sure to get all the creases and crevices. The batter should be rather thick. Then, dip each mushroom into the breading until well coated. You should be nearly out of wet batter by the time you are finished.
Drop each coated mushroom into the heated oil and allow to fry until browned and crispy, about 5-7 minutes. (If you don’t know the one-hand-trick, let me help you for a minute. Use one hand for the wet batter and one hand for the dry. This will save you so much mess, I promise!) When they look brown and beautiful, remove them from the oil and place them on some paper towels to remove any excess oil and salt. You can also use a broil pan over a large pot to catch the excess oil, like I did here. Pair these with my hushpuppy recipe and be prepare to eat more than you bargained for!
Fried Oyster Mushrooms
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5-7 minutes
- 3/4 lb Oyster Mushrooms
- Wet Batter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Mrs. Dash Chicken Grilling Blend
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1.2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp of each, salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Rinse and cut any big bunches of mushrooms, if necessary
- Heat a few inches oil in a pot or deep fryer to 350-375°F
- Prepare the wet batter by combining all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
- Stir in all the dry ingredients in a separate, large, mixing bowl.
- Take each mushroom and dip it into the wet batter, making sure to coat completely, then into the dry breading.
- Fry each coated mushroom for about 5-7 minutes until brown and crisp
- Remove the fried mushrooms from oil, salt and ENJOY!