If you’re from the south, you likely love sausage gravy, over some delicious buttermilk biscuits. If you’ve ever been to a Huddle House, maybe you’ve even had their loaded biscuits, which are quite similar to these… except these are vegan (and possibly even yummier)!
This is actually a few separate recipes in one. You can use the pieces of them for other things, if you’d like, but this one is a true southern staple!
To start off, You want to use my Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits recipe and make your biscuits. Then on to make some white gravy. This is so simple, you may not believe it. You just need 4 cups of unsweetened almond milk whisked with 1 cup of all purpose flour and salt and pepper to taste, until well combined, then heated, stirring occasionally, until thickened. I just bought some vegan sausage. I think the Gardein sausage patties work best with this recipe, but I’ve also used the Field Roast Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage and it worked well too. While the gravy is cooking, you just want to heat some oil over medium heat, crumble it up, and brown the sausage well. Then, you just add the sausage in with the gravy. Remove from the heat once the gravy is your preferred consistency and you have vegan sauage gravy, just like that!
You also need to press out your block of tofu and heat some oil over medium heat. Once you’ve gotten most of the moisture out of the tofu, crumble it up and throw it in the pan with a dash of turmeric, and some salt and pepper. This is your “eggs”. You don’t need much turmeric, just enough to get that egg-like yellow color. Scramble up the tofu for about 5-8 minutes.
Now, the easiest part of all. Just buy some hash-brown patties and fry them up according to the package instructions. Then just layer the hash-browns, tofu eggs, and sausage gravy over the biscuits and let your taste buds explode!
Loaded Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits
- 4 cups unsweetend original almond milk
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/5 tbsp pepper
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- Vegan sausage
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 block of tofu
- 1/2 tsp turmeric + salt and pepper to taste
- 4-8 prepackaged hash brown patties
- Use my Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits and prepare biscuits
- While that is cooking, whisk together the almond milk and flour until a bit foamy and there aren’t any chucks. Add in the salt and pepper and heat over medium low heat in a sauce pan, stirring often.
- Brown the vegan sausage using 1 tbsp of oil, then add to gravy and continue stirring and heating until desired thickness (15-20 minutes).
- Slice the block of tofu into about 8 slices and lay over a cloth or paper towels. Lay another over the top and press down, or lay something heavy over to the top, until most of the moisture is pressed out.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pann over medium heat
- Crumble the tofu with your fingers and add to the heated pan.
- Add turmeric and salt and pepper and scramble tofu, just as you would scrambled eggs” for about 5-8 minutes.
- Fry up hash brown according to package directions
- Layer the tofu eggs, hash browns, and sausage gravy over the buttermilk bicuits and ENJOY!