One of my, not so sweet, cravings this pregnancy has been Mexican food. Any and all Mexican food, really! Today I actually had my 32 week pregnancy appointment and you know where we went after? You guessed it! Mexican! So, I thought what better recipe to post than my go-to Mexican rice recipe? It’s rather simple, and sooooo good and filling! We actually make an entire meal out of just this recipe itself sometimes.
With just some vegetables and spices, oil, tomato puree, rice, and vegan chicken base, you, too, can make this scrumptious and filling Mexican rice.
First off, you need to prepare a few things. You can start with dicing up the bell pepper and onion. Then in a medium mixing bowl, add the water and the Better Than Bullion No Chicken Base and mix until well combined. Set both the diced vegetables and vegan chicken base to the side.
Now, you want to brown the rice. You do this by heating the oil over a medium-high heat and, then once the oil is hot, adding the rice to the pan. We prefer parboiled rice, and that’s what I used here, but plain white rice will work fine too. Be sure to stir the rice often to prevent it from burning. After about 5 minutes, the rice should be nice and browned. After that, you can reduce the heat to medium and add in the diced peppers and onions and sautee that all together for another 5 minutes.
Once the peppers and onions are soft, you need to turn the heat down again, to low, and add in the prepared vegan chicken base, seasonings, and tomato puree and mix it all together. Cover the pan and let that cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has dissolved, stirring occasionally. Then mix in the canned corn, and cover again and let cook for an additional 5 minutes.
All you need to do then is remove the rice from the heat, plate it up, garnish with some fresh oregano, if you’d like, and eat it up!
Vegan Mexican Rice RECIPE
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp Better Than Bullion No Chicken Base
- 2 cups of parboiled or white rice
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 15.25oz can of whole corn
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice onion and pepper
- Prepare vegan chicken base
- Mix 3 cups of water with 1 tsp Better Than Bullion No Chicken Base until well combined
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or sautee pan
- Add rice to oil and brown for about 5 minutes, mixing often to prevent any burning
- Turn heat down to medium and add in diced onion and peppers and sautee for another 5 minutes, still being sure not to let the rice burn
- Turn heat down to low
- Add the vegan chicken base, seasonings, and tomato paste to the pan and cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When most of the liquid is soaked up, drain the liquid from the canned corn, then add the corn to the pan. Mix in and cover and allow to cook for anther 5 minutes and ENJOY!