I remember coming up with this recipe on a day that I just didn’t plan anything and used whatever I could find around the house and it was a hit! (I know it’s hard to believe, but that doesn’t always happen.) I love when food just comes together so easily! I just adore pasta of all sorts, so we often have some on hand, and I had leftover cherry tomato and broccoli from earlier on in the week that I needed to use up. Everything else in this recipe are things I always keep stocked in the house.
This is such an easy recipe to put together. After you preheat your oven to 410°F, you simply cup the tomatoes in halves (it doesn’t really matter if you do it long ways or across the middle) and dice the onion. Of course, if you haven’t already, cut up your head of broccoli, you need to do that too. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet cut side up in one layer. Oil the broccoli and lay it on the baking sheet as well. Roast the tomatoes and broccoli for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside
While that is cooking, you can boil your pasta and prep your sauce. Sautee the onion in a sauce pan for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add in the minced garlic and sautee for another 3 minutes. If you are a garlic feen, feel free to use more garlic! This recipe is still tasty with as many as 7 cloves! Trust me, I’ve tried it. I only used 2 large cloves this time to make it more mellow for those not-so-garlic-feens, ya know?
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the almond milk and flour together until it no longer has any clumps and is a bit foamy. Then pour the milk mixture in the sauce pan with the sauteed onion and garlic. Turn down the heat a little and let that simmer for about 20 minutes, or until thickened. Add the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and remove from the heat. The sauce will thicken as it cools
If you’re not familiar with nutritional yeast, it’s what gives pasta a “cheesy” flavor, while also providing nutrients, like B12! I buy it in bulk, and we use it in bulk 😆 !
Now it’s as simple as just combing the garlic cheese sauce and roasted vegetables to the cooked pasta and mix well and feast away!
Cheesy Italian Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli RECIPE
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: ~ 8
- 3 1/2-4 cups cut broccoli
- 4 oz of cherry (or grape, if you prefer) tomatoes
- 2-4 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 410°F
- Prep vegetables.
- Dice onion and mince garlic
- Half tomatoes and cut broccoli, if needed
- Coat broccoli in 1 tbsp of oil and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Lay tomato halves, cut side up, on baking sheet as well and bake for 20-25 minutes. Set aside
- Cook pasta per instructions on packaging and set side
- While the vegetables and pasta are cooking, sautee the onion in a medium sauce pan with the other tbsp of oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat, or until soft.
- Add minced garlic to the sauce pan and sautee another 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the milk and flour together until slightly foamy and there are no chunks
- Pour milk/flour mixture into the sauce pan with the onion and garlic and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the sauce and stir until well combined. Taste and add any seasonings according to taste preference, if desired.
- Remove from heat and add sauce to the cooked pasta. Add roasted vegetables to pasta and mix.
- Let cool about 5-10 minutes, then ENJOY!