This recipe started off by Will requesting a vegan version of an Arby’s French Dip and Swiss; one of his favorite fast food meals from our pre-vegan days, but I’m not sure it qualifies as a copy-cat recipe because I used mozzarella and a onion bun, but it is surely inspired by it and is even more delicious!
This is another, rather simple, recipe that contains many things that a lot of vegans already keep stocked. I used the onion bread because in my opinion, it taste the best with this meal, but you can use another vegan bread, if you wish!
To prep, you just slice the onion and mushrooms (rinsed, of course), and mince the garlic. You want the onions in longer, thin, slices. I find this works best if you just cut the ends off, slice in half, then just cut thin slices from each half (like pictured below).
Now, you have to prep the “Au Jus”. You can make this by adding soy sauce, Liquid Smoke, Dale’s sauce, and vegan Worcestershire to some water and warming it over medium heat in a sautee pan. Add in the mushrooms and let them simmer and really soak in the flavor. While they are cooking, sautee the onion and garlic until the onions are soft and translucent (about 3-5 minutes). Add the sauteed onion/garlic to the mushroom-AuJus mixture and continue simmering for 20 more minutes.
Once the vegetables are done simmering and the mushrooms are good and soft, all there is left is to put the sandwiches together and bake them for a few minutes so the cheese gets soft!
On a baking sheet, lay out the bread. Then, using a slotted spoon, scoop the vegetables out of the “Au Jus” water, letting the liquid drain back into the pan first and put the vegetables on the bottom bun. Add a slice of Follow Your Heart mozzarella cheese (or your preference of vegan cheese) over the vegetables. Close the Mushroom Melts and bake on 350°F for about 5-10 minutes.
Scoop some of the left over liquid from the pot into a dipping bowl. These Mushroom melts are good, but they are to die for if you dip them into the sauce.
Savory Vegan Mushroom Melt RECIPE
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 4-6 Sandwiches
- 1 yellow onion
- 16 oz mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups of water
- 1/3 cup Dale’s Sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Vegan mozzarella
- Prep the vegetables by slicing the mushrooms and onions (in thin, long strips), and mincing the clove of garlic
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add water, Dale’s Sauce, soy sauce, Liquid Smoke, and vegan Worecestershire sauce into a large sautee or sauce pan and warm over medium heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the sauce water/sauce pan and continue to simmer over medium heat
- Sautee the onion and garlic for about 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the onion/garlic into the pan with the sauce and mushrooms and mix. Continue simmering for about 20 minutes.
- On a baking sheet, set up the sandwiches. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the vegetables and put them on the bottom bun. Top with a piece of vegan mozarella and close the sandwich. Bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle some of the leftover sauce mix into a dipping bowl. Dip sandwiches and ENJOY!