You didn’t think I’d start off with a big, healthy salad or something, did you? I hope not, because it’s brownies ALL THE WAY! Being pregnant has had my sweet tooth in overdrive. I won’t lie to you, I was just buying the Duncan Hines box of brownies and substituting the eggs with a flax egg and calling it a day. While they are delicious, there is nothing like homemade brownies and so I decided I needed my own recipe.
Believe it or not, it was a harder task than I imagined it would be. Baking has always been my favorite and what I was best at, so I was shocked that what I thought would be chewy, gooey brownies just weren’t that. I kept getting a cake or brownies that didn’t hold, but no worries, I have perfected them now and I’m here to give you the scoop!
With just 10 ingredients (plus water for the flax egg and the optional walnuts), these brownies are not only vegan, but they are so rich, easy to make, and SO GOOD!
First, you need to make your flax egg. Usually one egg is 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed with 2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons of water, but I found that about 1 and a half eggs is what works best here. If you prefer your brownies to be a bit “fudge-ier”, one flax egg will do and if you would like a more cake-like consistency, 2 would be fine, but I personally think 1 and a half works best.
While you let your flax egg sit and form, you can preheat the oven and cream the vegan butter and sugar together with a fork. Once the flax egg is ready, you can add all the rest of the wet ingredients (milk, almond extract, and flax egg) to the cream mixture and combine.
Now, you can add the dry ingredients, starting with the cocoa powder and salt. Then the flour and baking powder. I would suggest adding in the flour 1/4 of a cup at a time, because the batter gets thick and all the flour can be hard to work in all at once.
Now, you need to partially melt the dairy free chocolate chips and gently fold them into the batter. You can totally omit this step, if you’d like, and the brownies will still be good, but the chocolate chips really give it that “fudge-y-ness” that brownies need, in my opinion. Now is also the time I would fold in any nuts, if desired.
A special trick I’ll pass on to you is adding a sheet of parchment paper to the bottom of your pan. It really helps removing the brownie (or anything you are baking with, for that matter) from the pan. Parchment paper is a necessity in my house at all times and it makes things much simpler and less stressful.
You can then add the brownie mixture into the baking pan and spread it as evenly as possible. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on your preference. The less time, the gooey-ier the brownies will be and the more time, the firmer and lighter they will be. Be sure to let the brownies cool completely so they hold together best.
Perfect Vegan Brownies RECIPE
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 9 Brownies
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 1/2-4 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar of your choice
- 1/4 cup of dairy-free milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (vanilla works too)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Mix the ground flax seed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes, until mixture has an egg-like consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan and/or add parchment paper to the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a fork until well combined.
- Add the dairy-free milk and almond extract to the butter/sugar mixture. When the flax egg is ready, add it and mix together.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and salt until combined
- Whisk the flour and baking powder together, then mix it batter in batches (I suggest 1/4 cup at a time) until well combined and you have a nice, thick batter.
- Microwave the chocolate chips for about 45 seconds, or until slightly melted, and gently fold them into the batter. Fold in any nuts now, if desired.
- Spoon batter into baking pan and spread as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely and ENJOY!